Wednesday, August 20, 2014

DIY'n with door knobs {Palette Series 1 of 3}

Holler if you've been missing DIYs! I know I sure have.

I saw LaurDIY make a similar DIY on her channel a while back. I knew I didn't need another jewelry hanger, but she inspired the DIY I am sharing with you today! So, thanks Laur.

What I did need was a purse and jacket hanger.  My purse and jackets usually get tossed onto the floor which means my jackets sometimes get wrinkly and, on multiple occasions when my purse was unzipped, things have fallen out of my purse without me realizing. Bad.

So I decided to convert this DIY into something I could use! Although it has fewer knobs than the jewelry hanger, these will be sturdy and able to hold heavier items like purses and bags.

This DIY is something that you can even take with you to your dorm or set up at an apartment. In places like those were you can't put a hole in the wall, you can opt use 5 lb. double sided tape to hold it up instead of nails.

You have complete control to create it however you decide - the color, length, finish, and even if you will add an extra design. So let's get started!

YOU'LL NEED
Cut wood
Sand paper
Spray paint (Alternative: Wood stain)
Ruler
Pencil
Drill
Door knobs (Mine were from Hobby Lobby!)
Frame hanger & nail (or 5 lb. strength double sided tape)
Hammer

HOW TO 
Cut your piece of wood I nabbed a free pallet from my dad's work and cut one of the boards to my desired length.
Can I get pre-cut wood?  Yes! All hardware stores will cut (and even drill the holes) for you!

Next, sand the board with sand paper to make it smooth and better for indoor use.

(The other two pieces will be used in other DIYs!)

Mark where you want to drill holes for the knobs.

Drill holes for your knobs.

After sanding and drilling, clean off all of the dust and debris before spray painting it.

You have total creative liberty on this one! I painted mine white with spray paint, but you can choose any color. Wood stain is a great option as well if you want a more rustic look.

Finally, once it has dried, pop in your door knobs.


I added photo hangers to the back of the wood. I got a four pack at our local hardware store for $1.09.

Pay no attention to the fact that the hanger is upside down. ;) The zig zags should face the floor when hanging.

Place nails in the wall where you want it to hang. You may want to use a level to make sure your piece of wood is straight. And bam!

(Guys, my sweet boyfriend got me that sign. <3 He's the best.) 



Send me pictures if you make this!
Be on the look out for 2 more DIYs using palettes (and mason jars!!) coming soon!

xo! Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...